Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Be the Man!" Week 13

I bow the knee to the Geek Squad. They flipped my switch from “no” to “go.” They rescued the hopeless and gave new life! After many unsanctified frustrations and fulminations with my new desktop computer that was not linking with the internet, talking to my laptop, or printing, I made the call. A very few minutes after arriving a respectful, be-speckled twenty-something had me up and running. He never broke a sweat, and gave no hint of condescension for my lack of computer savvy. The transformation in both my computer and my attitude was nearly miraculous. It was money well spent (ask my wife). This was yet another teachable moment for problem-solving, self-sufficient, I-can-figure-this-out me. How many times have I expended prodigious but hapless energy trying to figure it out, measure up, get it done, or make it work? Then, in utter frustration and defeat I ask someone with expertise for help, and they make the impossible look like child’s play. Lesson learned. Again. Humility really is a grace that gives in all directions, both to the humble who ask, and to the strong who help. Everyone wins and the humble learn. It’s the difference between night and day.
Roger

No comments: