Friday, March 25, 2011

"Be the Man!" Week 3

Way back in the gauzy memory of my track career I was consumed with weight. My body fat index was zilch. I wore the lightest materials on my body. I wanted no extra water or food in my stomach. And, I especially wanted the lightest shoes. My event was the steeplechase, which includes a water jump on each lap. The first time I ran it I was startled at how much water was squishing in my shoes after each jump. So, I punched holes in my track spikes to eliminate those micro-ounces of unwanted weight. All of these details could appear obsessive or trifling if it were not for the goal. I wanted to run well toward the goal, and every ounce of extra weight would compromise my freedom to run. Shedding weight was no sacrifice because the finish line was worth it. Is this not the spiritual principle behind daily confession of sin, and regular worship of our Father? We shed encumbering weight and we re-focus on the race ahead.


Roger


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful analogy! since shedding the extra "weight" of despair and depression, i have found a freedom in Christ, and a perseverance for Christ that i never knew existed. Praise the Lord, the finish line is well worth it!